Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I broke off the key in my 1999 Nissan altima drivers side

Customer Question

I broke off the key in my 1999 Nissan altima drivers side door, I called AAA they unlocked it from the passageners side then the alarm started going off and now my car won't start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Try using the spare key and open the trunk and see id the alarm turns off

Let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my friend came to my aid and pulled the broken off key out of the door, and as I had the spare I put it in the ignition and it started right up. But I still can't open my gas door. I believe it's frozen as this all happened in 10 °F weather. But just in case it's not frozen when I push down on the lever on the drivers floor board it does not open and all this happened at a gas station lol, I still need gas. Any solutions?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

To open the gas door have someone hold the release lever and try to use a small screw driver to see if the door will pop open. Once you get it open, use some WD30 on the hinge of the gas door.

The reason why the alarm would not turn off from the passenger door is cause the tamper switch most likely fell off that lock cylinder. On all the lock cylinders including the truck, there is a tamper switch which turns the alarm on and off through the lock cylinder. It's not uncommon to find one has fallen off. If the car was slim jimmed at one time it could have been knocked off. A link below shows how the tamper switch is laid out so you know what to look for if you decide to re-attach the passenger tamper switch.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Alarm%20tamper%20switch.jpg

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!