Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My name is ***** *****.i have a Nissan Pathfinder 1998,that

Customer Question

Customer: hi,my name is ***** *****.i have a Nissan Pathfinder 1998,that is c.ranking ,but not starting.I've replaced the the distributor and distributor cap,but failed to mark the position of the old distributor.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the car is being sitting for a wail and now when i try to crank it i hear a noise from the engine like something is dragging inside.after a couple of tries its stops and the engine is cranking ,but i cannot get it to start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes i do
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Well since you replaced the distributor and you unsure it's installed properly. Let me explain how to set it.

First thing you want to do is remove spark plug number one. Then turn the engine to the TDC. That would bring the piston all the way to the top. Make sure the crank so the balancer timing ***** *****nes up with the timing pin.

Once you have determined the engine is at TDC. Then remove the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing. It should be pointing to number one on the distributor cap. That is how you first know the timing is correct. Then a timing light is used to adjust the timing which should be 14 degree's above TDC.

Do you think you can do that and get back to me with the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you Jay,I'll try all this steps and let you know what is the result.the thing is that i'm currently away from the car so can't do it today.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is fine. You can try tomorrow or sometime this week.

So you know when you can find me, I am normally online around 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm.

Ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok .thanks again.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Talk to you soon.