internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

I just bought a 97 pathfinder 3.3L w/ a P0301 and P0325

Customer Question

I just bought a 97 pathfinder 3.3L w/ a P0301 and P0325 code. After changing spark plugs, 10w-30 + Lucas oil stabilizer and filter, fuel system clean I drove from NV to CO. Only prob on drive was lack of power up hill and bad gas mileage. I filled up about 30 miles from destination and drove a few miles after reaching destination. SUV sat overnight in 18 degree snow (6-10 inches in the morning).
SUV HAS CRANK BUT NO START in cold...and at this point I have been trying to start it for three days w no success.
No starting issues other than some fan noise. This is what I've done since:
Battery PASSED two tests
PASSED Spark plug light test (lit in line on all spark plugs. Also lit at distributor cap. Visually confirmed good metal on cap and rotor.
Disconnected supply line and visually confirmed fuel supply during fuel pump solenoid charge AND during crank. But DID NOT PERFORM PRESSURE TEST
**engine slightly turned over w starter fluid being added to throttle body**
Heated gas tank and added HEET water absorber thinking I had frozen water near fuel pump.
Heated oil pan just in case cold weather thickened oil viscosity...but I just tried to start and the situation has not changed at all.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.

The P0325 is the knock sensor. You have replaced the knock sensor and inspect the wire harness for that sensor.
This is why it is robbing your power. Because it is retarding the ignition timing.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Do this test, have someone spray the plug wires with a water spray bottle.
If the wires were bad, engine would start having a fit; missing, crossfiring, etc.
Replace wires and spray test would pass every time.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Many time is the weak or bad coil that is causing the misfire. This is why the P0301 code. The coil is built inside the distributor.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that the codes are for a cylinder 1 misfire and a knock sensor. I guess my more urgent matter is getting the car started. Would the recommended test help towards that?
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

First you need to check if the fuel pressure is ok.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

You should change the fuel pump unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think the ignition cool could be responsible for both the crank no start AND the misfire? Also is it possible to get spark at the plugs if the ignition coil was bad?
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Please also change the fuel filter.

Yes, the ignition coil has lot to do with it.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

For your second question is No.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

I will be on the road soon. Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the ignition coil was bad Would I be getting spark at the plugs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If fuel pump bad would I be getting fuel at the rail for pre charge via solenoid and during crank?
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

This is why the fuel pressure need to be check.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Weak fuel pressure and weak coil could cause the engine no start. Therefore fuel pressure has to be check and coil need to be changed .