Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

Have a 1998 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6, hesitates to start only in

Customer Question

Have a 1998 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6, hesitates to start only in cold weather.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

this could be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the 'cold start' extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I 'd look into changing the sensor.

Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
also check for air leaks after the mass airflow meter -

Any air dragged after the meter isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for, causing rough running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpfulplease rate my answer.