Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I bought a 1999 Nissan Maxima. The fuel injectors are not

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** bought a 1999 Nissan Maxima. The fuel injectors are not grounded so it turns but it does not start. The security light is not on.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your Question.

Did you buy the car not running? Do you know if it recently had a engine or transmission installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The car was running when it was park, it was park for a year.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if there are any codes? Security light is not ON Solid when the key is turned to the ON position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not checked for codes. The security light is off when I turn the switch on.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I wonder if it has bad gas. When cylinders flood like that, that could be due to bad gas.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you check for injector pulse to verify that you injectors are not getting pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's is the problem, the cylinders were not getting any fuel at all. Like I said it only got fuel when I put a ground wire directly on the #2 cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 fuel injector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you drain the gas out of the car and try fresh gas?

Try pulling the fuel pump fuse and see if the engine will start with starting fluid.

We are also going to want to verify injector pulse by using what they call a Noid light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
draing gas put fresh gas, pull fuel fuse and yes it will start with stating fluid.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well the Ecm grounds the injectors so it could be a Ecm issue. Jumping the injector to ground may have shorted the computer also.

Now I have another thing I can add which could be the reason it was pushed to the side

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the car about a year ago I k ow it was running good. I done the tune up and breaks all the way around. I drove it for a month after that. Had to go over seas and work was gone for a year came back and went to start the car with no luck.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The years 95 to 01 model Maxima's and still to this day as a habit I still do this.

Back in the day if the engine or transmission was replaced with a used unit, if the mating surfaces between where the engine and transmission is not clean, you can get no start issues that are all ground related. The last one I saw was 5 years ago. A buddy of mine has a shop and put a used trans in a old Maxima like yours. I think it was a 97. But anyway after putting the trans in it would not start. Which I am thinking this person may have done the something similar and that is why it was pushed off to the side. Anyway, my buddy tried for 3 months to get this thing going before giving me a call. When I spoke to him he didn't believe me when I said to pop the trans out and clean the mating surfaces. 2 weeks later after we spoke I stopped by his shop. The car was still there. I asked him about it and placed a bet with him. I told him that if I pop the trans out and clean the mating surfaced and it starts he owes me 500 bucks. If it doesn't do anything then he doesn't own me anything..

I was 500 dollars richer..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I asked if you brought the car not running and you said yes?

Do you know if the car has a after market alarm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize it was running. Not to my anolege.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

We need a noid light then. That would verify that the Ecm is not grounding the injectors. The Ecm's grounds in a pulse fashion so the car can run. Jumping a wire that is Ecm controlled, such as the ground could damage the control unit.

Other than that. Do you have a Volt Meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how does the mood light work? I do not have one but I can buy one.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmR-wXddVw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What do I need to check with the volt meter?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I was going to give you the Ecm Terminal Reference check to see if you can find anything out of spec.

But you said you don't even know if you have any codes either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct. I can check the three fuel injectors on the right side of ingine. How about the left side?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The 3 in the front are the only ones you really need to check. If you are not getting pulse from the 3 up front, you can bet you don't have it in the rear also.

So if you don't have pulse, it could be a computer issue if it's not a key problem. A key problem does kill injector pulse. So you may want to check all fuses with a test light. Then lock the car make sure the security light turns solid for 10 to 20 seconds then start to flash. Then unlock the car and enter it and try to start it again. If you can open the car with out the alarm going off after the security light goes from solid to a blinking light then the alarm is not your issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can double check the security system operation for me and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have checked all fuses, fuses are. Have locked the car but security light does not come on at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hmm.. Well then maybe something is going on with the security system.

We may need to focus on that right now. It maybe easier if we spoke. Would that be something you may be interested in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not get good sign where I live with my service provider.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok...

First thing I would be doing is opening and closing each door to see if there is a door that does not trigger the dome light to come on. If I find a door that does that, I will unscrew the door switch and pull it off the body ( break Ground ) and leave that door open. Then try locking the car with the key and see if the security light then turns solid for 10 to 20 seconds then starts to blink.

Give that a try for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I need to be looking for if it is a security issue?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Something has the system where it can't arm or unarm. So you need to find a way to get the factory alarm working like I outlined, then see if it starts.

Does the security light blink at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the alarm light does not even on.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The light does not blink or do anything? Even when a door is open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you check all fuses inside the car and under the hood by the battery with a test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the fuse are good.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If all fuses are getting power and no fuses are blown and they are all in the correct spot, then I would focus on the factory security system. That is controlled by the smart entry control unit. Today this control unit is called the BCM.

This control unit is what operates the factory security system. So if the security system is not operating, it could be keeping the car from starting also.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a remote for the car?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

it is 11 pm where I am and I need to get off line for the night.

I will be back online tomorrow evening around 7pm EST and be online till 10 or 11 pm

Talk to you then.