Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My wheel is locked and the key won't turn. I've tried

Customer Question

My wheel is locked and the key won't turn. I've tried wiggling the wheel, I've tried it in neutral, I've tried jacking up the front end of the car, I've tried removing the fuses for the ignition, I've tried lubricating the key, I don't know what else to try.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your Question.

Did you try another key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have another key. The key works to unlock the car doors with no problem, and it isn't chipped or anything (that I can see) so, theoretically, it shouldn't be the key, right?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have a 2009 Sentra, it is indeed a chip key. I am 100% certain of that. My buddy has a 2010 Sentra and I just had to make him 2 new keys cause they were so worn.

Since you only have 1 key, try going to the dealer with your vin number and have them cut you another key. If the key turns in the ignition, then you know it's a key issue and then all you would need to do is have it programmed to the car for it to work.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The steering lock is a mechanical operation with your car. So if the key can't release the lock, it could be worn like my buddies 2010. That is what I am thinking.

If you give me your Vin number, I can get you your key code to have a new key made if you like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I did not respond. I managed to find a pretty affordable tow to my dads shop. Here's what happened:I needed a new key. I couldn't afford the $100 to get a new blank and have it programmed, so I actually had them cut me a normal, $3 metal key, and to start the car I press the metal of the old key against the metal of the new key and start.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So I was right that the key was worn?

I have another idea for you. If you go to Home Depot they have a key frequency copier. So take that worn key and have them make you two new keys. Then use the frequency of the worn key to program the new keys. That is the cheapest way I can suggest to have a key made and programmed.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!