Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Experiencing infrequent no starts on a Altima 2012. This

Customer Question

Experiencing infrequent no starts on a Altima 2012. This happened a year ago and again this week. The battery charges quickly so the battery is not a problem. Also the alternator is producing enough charge. Is there a power drain that the dealer could not find?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for Question.

When you have encountered this, was the car completely dead with no power? You needed to Jump start the car to get it going?

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is not completely dead - the interior lights go on and they are not dim. Yes we need to jump start the car. I do have a volt meter and the battery reads in normal range. With the engine running the alternator reads as normal as well. When I charge the battery using an 8 amp charger, in less than 10 minutes the charger is reading a little less than 4 amps. To me that indicates the the battery is fully charged. This happen twice last year - the dealer found not problems. Now a year later we are experiencing the same problems.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did this happen just this one time since last year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I found and solved the problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What did you find?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is interesting, I pay for advice but you would like free advice.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am here to help you. I was just interested in seeing what you found. You don't have to say.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I was thinking you double tapped the start button . Doing that leaves the ignition on and drains the battery completely.