Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima coupe. Drove to store now it

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima coupe. Drove to store now it won't start. I get a little yellow diagram of a key on dash. But the key bob will set off alarm and open doors but it shows no key. HELP
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Can you tell me if the steering wheel is locked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I parked the car it is in park so I am assuming so. I am not with the car now
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Let me tell you what I believe is your issue.

The 09 models had steering lock control unit issues. Where when the car is turned off, if the steering wheel does not lock, it does not complete the full shut down cycle. So when you go to the car it won't start turn on or do anything. If the steering wheel is not locked, this is your issue.

This steering wheel lock control unit is around 300 bucks and 1 to 2 hours labor to install.

How ever, if you are fairly handy, if you take a hammer and tap the control unit on the bottom of the steering column, while pressing on the brake pedal and pressing the start button, and tapping the control unit, it will sometimes allow it to activate and complete the shut down cycle so you can start the car. How ever, keep in mind if it does start, it may happen again. So that is why you want to replace that control unit.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zywVhHJWXgo