Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My name is, i working on a 2004 nissan quest 3.5, the

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** working on a 2004 nissan quest 3.5 , the service engine soon is not on,i did an oil change to it , so i took it to get a smog check and failed the test due to p0021(b2 camshaft sensor). i cleared the code after ten mins of running
the car , i checked it with the scanner this time it give me o0011 . please help on what the problem could be . Thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Hello yes this code is for the intake valve control timing solenoid. The very first thing to check on this is the oil level and condition, when you changed oil did you use the oil you had normally been running in engine? You need to check for Battery Voltage at the solenoids. But one quick check is to check the resistance of the solenoids you are looking for 7.5 ohm The solenoids have Battery voltage on one terminal and receive a ground signal from the pcm to operate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, well i just got the car, i don know what the other guy was using as far as oil is concerned, when i changed the oil i used 5/30 syntic,the oil level is up . i drove it today , after 20 miles the light came on, now its giving me code p0021, you mean to take the plug out and check resistace on the 2 pins of solenoid ?

Yes you had codes for both actuators, and you can check them by disconnecting the connector and using an ohmeter ohm across the two pins of the solenoid you will get between 7.5 and 10 Now even if the resistance is good doesnt prove there good, what I do is check the resistance, if it fails I know its bad if it dont and i still suspect them I will pull them off and use a set of jumper wires and put battery voltage to them while watching the solenoid. But I am willing to bet they are bad or going bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, i forgot to tell u that this car had a burnt head gasket , mixing water with oil. and i changed the oil twice.

was the head gasket replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No , i put that blue devil thing, the car runs fine , no more mixing water with oil.

Oh the blue devil, good fix please know it is temporary. That head gasket leaking, would have damaged your catalyst causing you to fail an emission test

sir have i answered your question can i assist you further?