Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2010 maxima was running great yesterday, then completely

Customer Question

2010 maxima was running great yesterday, then completely dead, no power, not to even clock,etc. Current battery had bad cells according to Pep Boys, replaced with new under warranty, installed new battery this a.m. Still not even a spark of power in system.???? Thanks in advance!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your Question.

First off, it sounds like you left the ignition on by double tapping the start button. What happens is when you turn off the vehicle, if you press the start button more than one time as you turn to get out of the car, the ignition will come back on which will completely drain the battery. Then I am assuming you tried to jump start the car which most likely blew the main fusible link.

The main fusible link is connected to the positive battery terminal. How handy are you to check it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can go out check it in just a minute or so, but FYI I'm confident that I didn't double press ignition, been driving it a long time without doing that, also didn't attempt to jump. Just pulled battery for testing, then replaced when it tested bad. going to step outside and look at fuse now. Thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It's the one thing that drains these batteries completely. It happens.

Let me know about the fusible link. Do you need a picture of what it looks like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a picture might be helpful. I was attempting to separate the fuse link from the battery cable to get a better look, but the nut is torqued down super tight, didn't want to break the link. Is the fuse visible through the small clear window closest to the terminal?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fusible%20link%201b.jpg

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I missed your request. I supplied a link that has a image of what the main fusible link looks like.