eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2005 Pathfinder XE 4WD 100k miles with a thumping

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Pathfinder XE 4WD 100k miles with a thumping noise that began in the right front wheel. It's has progressed to thump while steering straight now as well over a couple of months. I have had the wheel bearing, the cv axle and the brakes changed. I have also had the drive shaft removed and ran the car without, the sound is still present. I have replaced the wheel with my spare and am still experiencing a thudding noise at all speeds over 5mph. The noise is present in 2WD and 4WD.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Any vibration along with the thumping noise?

Any pulling to either side, either on acceleration or on braking?

Is it a steady thumping noise, or does it come and go?

If you put the vehicle in neutral when going down the road, is the thumping still present?

Please remember that I am not there to test drive it and therefore rely on you for as much detailed information as possible and may on occasion need to ask for more information or clarification

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Little to no vibration, thump can be felt but not hear outside of car.Any pulling to either side, either on acceleration or on braking?
Pulling has began lately only to the right, where the thump is. Prior to that no pulling. Currently feels out of alignment to the right.Is it a steady thumping noise, or does it come and go? Steady thumping when turning right (how it began) and also semi straight now, however not when turning left. Most noticeable at speeds from 10-40If you put the vehicle in neutral when going down the road, is the thumping still present?
I haven't checked neutral yet, though I assume it the same.
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Thanks for the great added information.

Ok, based upon this information, the control arm bushings need to be checked. When these wear, it allows movement of the steering knuckle as the control arm is attached to it via the balljoint. This will cause the wheel to almost bounce, hence the thumping noise, and will also cause a pull as the steering knuckle moves.

These need to be both visually inspected for either missing chunks from the bushings or them being dried out and cracked or shrunk, as well as put a prybar in the control arm and check for any play when trying to move it. If any of these are observed , replace the control arm bushings

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to try replacing the bushings on Sunday, I will let you know how it goes. Thanks
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good