Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have an 04 Pathfinder 3.5 v6. Just replaced the engine and

Customer Question

I have an 04 Pathfinder 3.5 v6. Just replaced the engine and I have no spark. Double checked all wiring, every thing is plugged in. Suspect crank sensor. Is there a way to test it? Also wondering of there is a reset on security system as battery was disconnected for the replacement
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I will do my best to help you with this, but please keep in mind, since the engine has been changed it could be a number of things. So lets see if we can isolate the issue.

First thing I need to know is what year the engine is that you put in and what it came out of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe its 2001. It had a different crank sensor but I changed flywheels and installed the 2004 sensor and wiring harness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine was from a Maxima
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What year maxima engine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That engine won't work. The 2001 Maxima has no intake timing operation.

You need to use a 2003 or 2004 Pathfinder engine. Let me double check what Qx4 engine you can use

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm. Not 100 % sure on the source of the engine (helping out a friend) but all wiring was identical except for crank sensor. I used the original pathfinder flywheel and intake manifold/throttle body and everything hooked up. Please explain the intake timing operation
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is normally the key. The 2001 and 2002 Pathfinder engines look like they can work, but the crank sensor location is different which make you think you can swap pans or just install the crank sensor.

You can only use a 2003 and 2004 Pathfinder engine for the 2004 Pathfinder, or a 2001 to 2003 QX4 engine. I am not 100% sure on the QX4 years. But I can check tomorrow at work to be sure. I am using the service manual to look at the intake timing operation to verify the correct engine.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You need to find out 100% what that engine came out of. But it's safe to say, if the crank sensor position is different, then the engine is incorrect.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!