JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member
6149662

Going to change the water pump on my 1996 pathfinder along

Customer Question

Going to change the water pump on my 1996 pathfinder along with power steering belt. Have not looked but where is it located? And what is necessary to remove?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.
  1. Drain coolant from drain plugs on both sides of cylinder block and radiator
  2. Remove upper and lower radiator hoses and fan shroud.
  3. Remove drive belts
  4. Remove the water pump pulley.
  5. Remove the crankshaft pulley and front (upper and lower) belt cover.
  6. Remove the water pump.

CAUTION: When removing water pump assembly, be careful not to get coolant on timing belt.

1. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
    • The water pump cannot be disassembled and should be replaced as a unit.
    • After installing the water pump, connect hose and clamp securely, then check for leaks using radiator cap tester.
    • To avoid deforming the timing cover, make sure there is adequate clearance between it and the hose clamp.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you