Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

05 frontier 4.0 shutting down constantly, always restarts,

Customer Question

05 frontier 4.0 shutting down constantly , always restarts , and no codes, relay diagram posted is dufferent , cant find ecu relay
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

Are you sure you have located the IPDM?

Is it possible for you to take a photo of yours and upload it here using the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it located and switched relays with the fog relay, noticed the ecm relay is the only 1 with the number 5 on it , the rest has a 4, but it is still cutting off .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perhaps the 5 is the recall replacement relay?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I am confused here.

You stated the diagram that is posted is wrong and you can't locate the ECM relay.

Is this fact or is it now, you have actually found it and the system diagram you are looking at is correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14 November 2015 01:23
yes got it located and switched relays with the fog relay, noticed the ecm relay is the only 1 with the number 5 on it , the rest has a 4, but it is still cutting off . what part is confusing??
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

relay diagram posted is dufferent , cant find ecu relay. This is what you stated in the original post, so I was confused that you found it and determined that the ecu relay is different or had a different number.

There is a relay box in the same area which is why I wanted to know if you could send a photo. As for numbers on the relays, these mean nothing in the wiring diagram or the IPDM layout diagram I have.

That being said, if you swapped relays and the same issue exists,then the relay is not the problem. I just wanted to make sure you got the right relays is all.

How long will the truck run before it cuts out on you?
Also, does the check engine light flash or anything prior to the stall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no engine lamp, stalls very intermittently , runs fine some days , some days stalls out every few minutes.unpredictable , but always starts rite back up.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i suspect the ipdm , but fear the intermittent nature will give correct voltage values while testing. not really , does seem more cold .
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You are right, until it's a consistent problem the IPDM will test just fine.

Let me just send this diagram along in case it's different then the one you have used.

Also, might try swapping the ignition relay if you already did the ECM.

I have seen the ignition relay fail on these once in a while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try the ignition relay and get back , thanks..
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
switched ignition relay still cutting off..
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Is it doing it at idle or at cruising speed?

Like at a stop sign?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both but mostly idle and stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to got worse since swapping relays , having very hard restarts now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got a cpk code once today , but figured it may be from the shut down.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Let's try and idle relearn on it and see if that helps.

Make sure you time it with a watch with a second hand, and read all the steps prior.

Nissan Relearn
1 Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".
A Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
B Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
C Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
D Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
E Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
2 Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
B Turn ignition switches 'ON'.
Note Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
3 Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4 Turn ignition switches ‘OFF’ and waits at least 10 seconds.
5 Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.
6 Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
A Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
B Fully releases the accelerator pedal.
7 Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
8 Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.
9 Start engine and let it idle.
10 Wait 20 seconds.
11 Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
12 If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, the result will be incomplete. In this case, more test needs to be done.

Have to say it does sound like it's a problem with the IPDM, hate to jump to that conclusion though without any proof.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no luck with any of that , and didnt have more time to spend online when i was trying to solve the problem , since it was intermittent, diagnostic procedures were kind of useless as the tech understood , I was looking for common causes to try as it was my only option , i tryed the crank sensor and it worked , so even though this sight was no help , I still found the tech very knowledgable , proffessional , thorough, respectful and quick.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I am really surprised to hear the issue was with the crank sensor, but very pleased to find out you got it resolved.

Know that JA has taken your full amount you offered for the question and put it into an account for you. You can contact customer service to get it back or if you feel I was any use at all, go ahead and rate.

Thanks for the follow up and I am really pleased you are running good again.