Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 97 Nissan Maxima will not start it is my alarm that's

Customer Question

My 97 Nissan Maxima will not start it is my alarm that's keeping it from starting I was working on my car and unlocked the door through the window and the alarm went off now it won't crank I've tried to lock all the door and unlock with key that didn't work also tried unlocking trunk with key that still didn't work what do I have to do to get the alarm to allow my car to crank?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Since you reached in through the window to open the door, most likely the factory alarm is the issue. If using the mechanical key in any of the lock cylinders is not working, then most likely the tamper switch that connects to the back of the lock cylinder that turns off the alarm has fallen off.

How handy are you? Are you able to remove the door panel to inspect the tamper switch and reconnect them?

Here is a image of what it looks like

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Alarm%20tamper%20switch.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am able to remove the door
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Cool. I share a link that has a image of the tamper switch. See if you can pop a door panel off and see if this tamper switch is secured onto the back of the lock cylinder. If it's not there, look for it and snap it back on and use the key to turn off the alarm..

Let me know how you make out...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The window I reached through it the back door
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't matter which window. Once the factory system is armed, it can be set off by any door you reach in and open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is still connected
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You pulled a door panel off and checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even unhooked the tamper switch and reconnected it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

With everything closed. Hood and doors.

If you lock the car with the key, does the security light turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stayed on for 15 seconds
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

now unlock it with the key and open the door and see if the engine turns over

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still will not turn over
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is no horn or lights flashing right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then you may have a starter issue.

Can you locate the gray connector that goes to the starter? It's under the air filter air box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the starter cause the fuel pump not to pump ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No...The fuel pump would only come on for a second and then turn off since it does not see engine revolution

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay the fuel pump comes on for a few seconds when i switch it on but its not pulling any gas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the connector
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump is a least of your problems right now.. So don't focus away on the real issue. The engine is not turning over. We need to focus on that.

Ok.. Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do t have a bolt meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have a volt meter
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

We need to see if that gray connector is getting power when the key is turned to the Crank Position. If it's getting power, then we know you have a starter issue.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is getting power or not ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If it's getting power, then you have a starter issue.

If you are not, then a volt meter will be required for sure to do more tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not getting power
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You tested it with the key in the Crank Position? What did you use to check for power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a test light
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then we are going to need a volt meter to start tracing why the starter is not getting power when the key is turned to the Crank Position.

Is the car a Stick or Automatic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you put the car into neutral and hold the key in the crank position see if the engine turns over. If it doesn't, move the shifter slowly into park and wiggle the shifter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't crank
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Can you get a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the starter and it's still not cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway to disconnect the alarm system ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you were not getting any power to the starter then it is not the starter.

The issue does not sound like its the alarm. That is why you will need a volt meter.

Can you get one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may can get a volt meter tomorrow
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok I will be on and off line this morning, then I have a Family event after 12 noon EST.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay can you tell me how many Volts should it be reading and what to do if it's not reading the right amount
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you turn the key and hold it in the Crank Position, you should have battery voltage at the starter. If you don't, then you need to back up through the circuit till you find power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible I have a bad starter?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If your getting power at that gray connector, then it would sound like a starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will check these things out
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to order a volt meter it will be here tomorrow but I would like to know if it's not my alarm why isn't my alarm remote working to unlock the doors
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you used the key to set the alarm by locking the car and the security light turning soild then blinking and using the key to open the door and alarm not sound, it is not a factory alarm issue.

If you have a after market alarm, that certainly can keep the starter from operating also. Is this a Nissan remote you have? Did you try changing the battery in the remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I only have a after market remote
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh! If you have a after market remote, then you have a aftermarket alarm. Can you locate the after market alarm module under the drivers side dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered the remote off eBay and programmed it by sticking the key in the ignition 3 times I don't see a after market alarm system under the dash
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then lets wait for the volt meter to go through the circuit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will let you know when it gets here
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You got it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I have it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Cool. I will be online around 7 pm EST and then be online till 10 or 11 pm.

Can you wait till then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't be home I have to go to a meeting in a few
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am currently working.. I will be leaving work in about a hour.

What time will you be home after your meeting? I can instruct you on what to check so when there is day light you can check it tomorrow if you like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should be home 10 or. 11
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. This is what I will do when I get home. I will extract the wiring diagram for the starter for your car from the factory service manual. I will the make notes on what you are to check. I will also try to add images of relay locations to help you.

This way when you get home, you have info to follow.

Sound good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that sounds good
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Just had to fix a internet issue. Let me work on getting that info for you...

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You want to locate E61 relay and check for power at pin 1 & Pin 6 with the key in the Crank Position.

Pin 1 should have power with key in the ON position, Pin 6 with the key in the Crank Position. See if Pin 2 has continuity to ground at that relay as well.

If you jump pins 6 to 7, the starter should engage when you turn the key as a test also.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is good with the wires I have asked other people about and they said that my alarm had locked down the system but no one can tell me how to disable this I don't know what to do about this I even changed the ecu from a car at the junk yard but that didn't work
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It would be easier to tackle this with you if I spoke with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the extra cash for that do you know how to bypass the alarm?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is a question that is commonly asked. The factory alarm system is integrated into the car and cant be bypassed.

For the starter not to engage or get power, did you check power to the relays i mentioned?

I am currently away from my computer. I will be home in about an hour or so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's has 12v
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you jump the pins as I suggested to see if the starter engaged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I jump the pins
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You remove the relay and with a piece of wire jump pins 6 to 7 as i suggested to you earlier

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will have to do tomorrow it has gotten dark
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. I will be online tomorrow around 7 pm Est and be online till 10 or 11pm.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pin 1 has power but not pin 6 and I tried to jump pin 6 and 7 starter did not engage
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If pin 6 does not have power. That comes straight from the ignition switch. So either you need a ignition switch, or you have a after market alarm tapped into that wire keeping power from getting to that relay which would allow power to get to the starter for it to operate.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I added a new ignition switch and it still will not crank
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This would be so much easier if we can speak.

You still don't have power at pin 6 with the key in the crank position at the inhibitor relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no power pin 1 is the only pin with power
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You need to check power directly out of the ignition switch. If you have power directly out of the ignition switch, you must have a after market alarm interrupting the power to the relay or you have a broken wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything looks to br normal I do not see any aftermarket alarms on the car
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is the only thing that is making sense to me. Check power at the Black wire with the White Stripe at the ignition switch. If you have power coming out, then you have something interrupting it from getting to the relay. Either a broken wire or a after market alarm.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Remember, we are checking to see if the Black wire with the white stripe has power when the key is turned to the Crank Position. Meaning where you would try to start the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked yes it has power coming from the ignition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's trying to crank but Just isn't turning over fuel pump priming not pumping
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Wait.. All this time I was thinking the starter was not engaging. Is the engine turning over and not starting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter is engaging no gas is reaching the engine because of the shut of from the alarm system but the motor is turning just won't start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Jesus.. This whole time I thought the starter was not engaging to turn the engine over. If the engine is turning over, then you have power at pin 6 at the relay.

When you turn your ignition key to the ON position, is the security light ON Solid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the light isn't on at all in the on position
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Now we need to check the car for codes. Do you have a way to do this?

Also we will need to do a fuel pressure test and check for spark and injector pulse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have a computer to check for codes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to check for spark and fuel and injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What will I need to do that ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

if you popped out a spark plug see if it's wet with fuel also

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fuel is on the plug
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Remove a fuel line by the fuel filter, and turn the engine over and see if fuel is coming out. Make sure you take the hose that you remove and plug it in a glass bottle for the fuel to go into if fuel comes out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the first thing I did and I got a new fuel pump and all I do is hear it turn on when I switch the car on but doesn't pump the fuel up
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you try pulling the hose off at the pump to see if you have fuel

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no fuel is in the lines
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then the pump you brought is defective if you hear it operating and it's not pumping any fuel!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See that's the thing I bought another one and it's doing the same
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you are buying them from your local auto parts store, that is most likely why. Get the part from the dealer. After market parts are junk and will having you chasing your tail and have you spending more moneynon parts you don't need.

If the pump operates, but doesnt pump fuel. You need a pump!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what about the alarm system it wouldn't have disabled my pump from pumping ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If the alarm is active it kills injector pulse, not the fuel pump. So if the pump is operating and not pumping fuel, the issue is the fuel pump!