Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Yesterday I did a fluid check on my 2008 Xterra Off Road. I

Customer Question

Yesterday I did a fluid check on my 2008 Xterra Off Road. I was shocked when I removed the lid to the overflow bottle and found dark bluish green (greenish dark blue?) fluid in it. It is also in my radiator. It is not cloudy; it's translucent. The last time I checked it was about two weeks ago and it was normal then. It has 18,225 miles on it. It has been serviced regularly. What has caused this and what can I do to remedy it?
Also am having difficulties with the hands free phone system. It has a Rockford Fosgate radio and CD system. I cannot make a call with it anymore as the voice in the system cannot repeat back the numbers I try to call properly. I will repeat and repeat but it just isn't getting it anywhere close to what I'm dictating to it. It work the way it always had since it was new and then one day it just didn't. Do you know what is causing this and what I can do to remedy this? Thank you for any advise you can relay.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

How many miles do you have on the truck exactly? 18k ?/?

Also we are limited to one topic per question, but will do my best to help you with the hands free. Lets just focus at one issue at a time first though.

Do you service this at the dealer? I wonder if someone put washer fluid in the over flow bottle by mistake? Or if you service it at the dealer, they may have used blue coolant when this system uses green..

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 18,225 miles on it. Yes, I have it serviced at dealer but this was not done there. Several months ago, the coolant was below the neck of the radiator. The first time since I have had the vehicle. I went out and purchased a gallon of Prestone and filled the radiator back up with a mix of half Prestone and half water. I have checked it at least 3 times since then and it has always been at the level it is supposed to be at and the usual greenish yellow antifreeze color.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you see any signs of the blue & green coolant in the radiator? If you do, then I would recommend to have the coolant system flushed.

Also since it looks like you don't drive the truck much, you may want to look into a external trans cooler for your truck. These radiators have the transmission cooler built into them. They have some issues where they fail and coolant can enter the transmission and damage it and transmission fluid enter the coolant system and damage it. Since it has low mileage, I would think it would be more susceptible to this cause fluid does not circulate as often.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mentioned in my first contact that it was blue green in the radiator also. I need to switch to my laptop. I will look for you there.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Since you are experiencing a Mix in the coolant, I would recommend the coolant system to be flushed out. The trans fluid would make it look pink and milky if the trans cooler has failed. Someone either mixed the coolant or washer fluid may have been added to the over flow bottle by mistake.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

as for your hands free, when you are saying the number, does it reply like it doesn't hear you?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am thinking it could be a microphone issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!