Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Rear sunroof opened all the way. will not close now. can't

Customer Question

rear sunroof opened all the way. will not close now. can't find a fuse. is not making any noise at all, seems like no power. front sun roof works fine.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wife just said she heard a "click" about a minute after the sunroof was opened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disconnected battery for 10 seconds, reconnected and nothing happened. tried to physically pull the window close, and it won't budge.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

With the van running, if you press the sunroof tilt button, will the glass move at all? Try both directions a few times.. Also.. How many miles on the van?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2013 not 2014. No movement at all pushing button either way. 63k mileage.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sun roof issues are tricky. Especially if you need to access the sunroof motor. .. Do you hear any motor movement what so ever? I am trying to determine if you hear just a slight movement. That could indicate that the motor is good, the glass maybe jammed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even tried with force and my wife pushing the button and it would not budge.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, the way the sunroof is designed, with the sunroof motor installed, it locks the cables and pull and open the glass.

how handy are you? cause the head liner will most likely need to be removed to look at the sunroof operation and test it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't hear any motor sounds at all. However, the front sunroof that works has a motor that is silent as well. I'm not opposed to digging into it to test something.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Give me a min to get you info if you like to try to take this on yourself..

I am going to warn you. To remove the head liner.. The pillar covers will need to be removed and they are a 1 time use. So they would need to be replaced regardless. This is cause of the air bag system that they are designed that way.

Hang on..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1a.jpg

Try those steps and see if we get any movement from the rear roof

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did those steps work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The steps listed seem to require some movement of the glass, and that is not happening. I will try it again, but I have no tilt and no open/close function. I'm not sure I want to mess with pulling the headliner off. Wife would kill me if I break it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I hear you. I just thought i would share that and see if something would operate before droping the head liner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reading the instructions again, I really can't get past step one because he says to set the glass in the tilt position. Life is so much easier with my 91 jeep wrangler....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hehe... i hear you.

I think it wants the front roof tilted up