Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Having an issue with my 2001 Nissan maxima I just replaced

Customer Question

having an issue with my 2001 Nissan maxima
I just replaced both belts and now it won't idle.
also replaced harmonic balancer.
no check engine light comes on, it just won't idle.
it actually won't start unless I have my foot slightly on the accelerator
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Did you disconnect the battery before replacing the belts and balancer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did not disconnect the battery.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and there wasn't any kind of issue with the car idling prior to replacing the drive belts? None at all?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Just trying to think what would have happened to cause this, I have replaced lots of belts without a problem. Did you do anything with the air filter or anything while doing the maintenance on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct. I literally drove it into my garage and it was fine (except for the harmonic balancer that had a little wobble in it, hence the need to replace it).
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Totally understand, did you use a Nissan balancer or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the air filter last month, and didn't have any problems.I did my front brakes ( pads and rotors ) as well, and i'm worried I may have set something on top of the air filter ( wrench or something ) that maybe hit a vacuum line or one of the sensor wires. But I would have thought something like that would cause the check engine light to come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new harmonic balancer is aftermarket from 1A Auto. seemed to be an exact match.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, couple ideas, first, it is possible there is an issue with the mass air flow sensor. Try unplugging it and see if the car will idle. If it will, then it's the problem. If not, the only other possible issue I can connect with this would be the crank signal sensor that is bolted to the timing cover. This I would expect to throw a code. I actually have used 1A several times for my 02 Maxima without any trouble, but maybe there is some difference there.

As for the maf sensor. It can go bad and not store a code. All it has to do is send the wrong info to the computer and it can mess things up. The computer isn't smart enough to know it's getting the wrong info, so the light only comes on or codes are only stored when the wiring is bad or the sensor is burned right up. This will cause the code, otherwise the computer is just making the mix based on the input.

These are the only things I could see causing the problem. Yes on the vacuum line, however there shouldn't be any there that would just come off that easily.