Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2008 Altima hybrid won't start, display say to apply

Customer Question

My 2008 Altima hybrid won't start, display say to apply brake, brake lights come on but the display doesn't recognize me hitting the brake pedal, at the same time that this issue happened the Bose radio/navigation system quit, I also have a u1000 code communication error, I have got the car to start a few times by hiring the brake pedal & start button several times, when it starts everything works as it should except the radio.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was driving down the road and I heard a noise sounded like a circuit breaker tripping near the glove box then the radio quit, I can still tilt the display on the Bose radio/nav., right after that I shut the car off and it wouldn't restart
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Is the steering wheel locked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is most likely your issue. If the steering wheel is not locked, the car did not complete the full shut down cycle so that is why the car can not start.

Since you have a U1000 code, this could be due to control unit failure or a fuse.

Did you check all fuses with a test light? You have 3 fuse box locations.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car still having issues, I've never seen the steering wheel lock, is it possible it doesn't have a lock since it's a hybrid and it has electric steering? It starts normal about half the time tonight the key light was on on the dash and it wouldn't start every time but it seem to help if the key fob was in the valet slot
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

These cars had steering wheel locks up the year 2011. 2012 they took off the steering wheel lock.

Since your steering wheel is not locked, and you have a U1000 code, you need to see what control unit is not communicating. The U1000 code is a CAN communication code. The CAN system is a communication network that goes through out your car to each control unit. When one control unit is not communicating it will throw that U1000 code.

Are you a shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car not at a shop
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

With a U1000 code you are going to need a high level scanner that can perform a CAN system test to isolate your issue. This link is a image of the computer screen on a Infiniti that came into our Nissan dealer with a running issue. Like your car it had a U1000 code. It had a internally shorted ICC laser which was feeding back into the CAN system causing the car not to run properly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/CAN%20Image.jpg

I am afraid this is your next step to get your car running.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the radio issue have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The Radio should not keep the car from starting. But if it all shut off on you. There could be something to it. Hard to say exactly with out being able to scan the car to isolate the issue to see if it's related to the radio.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the car scanned at a Nissan dealership and have several codes, they just wanted to replace the battery that tested good, also tonight I noticed that the steering wheel was locked, I haven't seen that in awhile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure the issue is with the steering wheel lock, is there any cheap fixes?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

IF the steering wheel is locked, does the car now start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car did start when it was locked, but it will also start about 1/2 the time when it doesn't lock, it seems to always start as long as the the intelligent key system warning light isn't on
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did the dealer tell you what was the cause of the U1000 code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a print out with current codes c1609 vehicle speed sensor,b2193 chain of bum-exam,b260a ignition relay,b261e vehicle type, c1729 battery low voltage, b2205 speed meter, past codes were u1000 can comm curcuit 146,919, u0293 hvc/I ancon, b2601 shift position, b2607 sl relay, b261a push button if ion switch, and more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the last week the car has started with no issues, check engine light hasn't turned on, but the intelligent key warning light stays on and the steering lock doesn't engage, I replaced the lock mecinisum with a used one this morning and it made no difference, I have power to the fuse, any suggestions?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The only other thing I can think of with out being there to properly check the car is that this could be a BCM ( body control module ) issue. The B codes are Body Control codes. That Battery low voltage code you get if the battery is weak. So you could need a car battery also which is located in the trunk for the Hybrids.

But more advanced tests need to be done to determine if your key system issue is BCM related or Steering wheel lock control unit related.

If you have CAN diagnostics done for the U1000 code could lead you to the control unit that is giving you the problem.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me.

Thanks Jay!