Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I 't have heat in my 2010 Titan. I've opened up the water

Customer Question

I don't have heat in my 2010 Titan. I've opened up the water valve and turned the gears to manually open it and both hoses are now hot. But I still don't have heat in the cabin. What can I check next?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Was the heater valve not opening on its own?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

are you there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it was the water valve at first and opened it up, now the hoses are hot on both sides.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

I understand that YOU opened it, but it's important to know why here.

If the water valve is NOT opening by itself when turning the heat on, then that means either the water valve is bad or the front air control is bad.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

if the front air control is bad it could effect other things as well, like the blend doors for hot and cold airflow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened it because everyone on the Nissan forums said it would fix most heat issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the front air control, is that the dials?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

The ONLY thing that's gonna fix is a heat issue from a faulty heater valve.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

which is USUALLY the fault with no heat, but it would be important to know the valve was bad before opening it manually.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Yes, thats the dials.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

If the heater valve is open and you still cannot get heat (assuming the truck is heating up properly)

then either the heater core is blocked, or the blend doors are not functioning.

If the return hose leaving the heater core and coming out the firewall is not warm, then the heater core is blocked and you need to back flush it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I turn MAX AC on, then turn it off, with the temp dial to hot, sometimes warmish (not hot) heat comes out.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Did you check your coolant level? have you tried REVING the engine up and see if it produces heat when holding it reved??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coolant was at the MIN setting, so I filled it the MAX setting. I'll try the reving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I test the blend door actuator?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

by rulling out other things first.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

you KNOW it's not the water valve, if reving don't work then you know its not an air pocket, check the coolant return hose and if its warm then the heater cor is not blocked, that would leave you with a blend door issue and it would likely be from the front air control is the heater valve was not opening either and it was good.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.