Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

The exterior passenger door will not open from the outside.

Customer Question

Hi the exterior passenger door will not open from the outside. Luckily it still works from the inside I believe it was tampered with during an attempted break in. I have exposed the door inards, I can clearly see that the cable pull has come out from the handle. I pulled it by hand and it works. I just have to "re-thread" the cable into the handle & I having a devil of a time figuring it out. Any help would be appreciated
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it's a 2008 Nissan Versa & here are some pictures I took
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

On that black Plastic retainer, there should be a spot to lock the cable in. Is that broken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No as far as I can tell nothing is broken. There is no debris on the bottom of the door and everything looks stock. I think a potential thief used a slim Jim and pulled the cable out of place.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This may be easier to determine if we spoke

when you hook up the cable to that black handle part. You want to see if when you install the handle the cable stays locked when you pull the handle open, or is it pulling the whole cable up and not holding the cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how to engage the ball on the cable pull to the handle. If I close the door I can manually pull the cable and the door will unlock. When I first accessed the door that cable was just hanging free not connected to any part of door handle. How do I engage the cable in the black door clip?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUCEjVkF_0

Fast forward to the handle part. This should help you see how the cable snaps into that black plastic piece. That is most likely your issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It's around the 11:30 second mark where the outside cable is hooked up to that black plastic part.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

From what I can see on the pictures you shared, it looks like it's a little to open for the cable to lock in.

Am I correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's my problem for sure, I'm fairly sure I will be able to get it tomorrow. I have fatherly sutures to attend but yes today's almost exactly what mine looks like, I'll let ya know tomorrow if ur works
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Feel free to return and let me know how you make out. Before you go, please don't forget to rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

Thanks Jay