Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

In my 93 Nissan 240sx the brakelight fuse keeps blowing.

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

When you replace the fuse, does it pop when you step on the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it doesn't always do it immediately some times when I'm testing it I can pump it about ten times then randomly it will blow but it once blew first step...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. So you have to step on the pedal a number of times to make the fuse blow. Is that correct?

You more or less know how to make the fuse pop right? So if I ask you to try something you would know if the something changes.. Right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. I know you said you unplugged the brake switch, but you have two switches down by the brake pedal. One is the cruise control cancel switch, and the other is the brake switch. Just for now for test purposes can you unplug both those switches and put a good fuse in and see if it blows.. This will help me to determine if the issue is before the brake switch in the circuit or after.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok new fuse is in. And both switches are disconnected
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Now see if the fuse will blow.. Turn the lights on and off and what ever you can do to see if the fuse blows. If you can't get the fuse to blow, then it's safe to say the circuit up to the brake switch is good, and the problem is after the brake switch.

Which if that is the case, I will suggest to unplug a whole tail light assembly. So example. You unplug the drivers rear tail light assembly and leave the right side plugged in. See if the fuse blows. If it doesn't, then you isolated the issue to the drivers rear tail light. If it does blow, then plug the drivers rear in, and unplug the passenger rear and duplicate. If the fuse blows with either of the lights plugged in or unplugged, then unplug the 3rd brake light and try.

We are trying to unplug a light and stop the fuse from blowing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rear tail lights assembly don't just unplug, just the bulbs. And how am I suppose to complete the circuit to blow the fuse if the brake light switch is unplugged? Fuse didn't blow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the 3rd brake light could be the issue! Lemme check that
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is a plug for the main tail light.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1a.jpg

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Each tail light does have a harness connector. See that link for a image of where it is located.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your correct with the assembly's sorry. So I disconnected all five of the assembly's and tested each light individually then started with the furthest pass light to the closest driver light then the hatch light. Randomly the brake light fuse haven't blown, I've held on the brake for about 60 seconds and it didn't blow. I put it in each gear from park to 3 didn't blow. Started the car up lights still working, drove it down the block and randomly blew on my third stop.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So what you want to do is unplug lets say the drivers tail light assembly. Replace the fuse.. Take the car for a ride again. See if you can go 3 blocks and fuse not blow. If it doesn't, go another 3 blocks to be sure. Then plug it back in and unplug the passenger side. Drive it again. If it blows with in the 3 blocks, then you know it has to be with in the drivers tail light. I have seen that back socket area internally short or the grounds come loose.

give that a try and let me know how you make out.

I have to get off line for the night though. I will be back online tomorrow evening around 7 pm EST and I will be online till 10 or 11 pm.

Can we continue then after you do some trial and errors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we can try more tmaro, thank you for your time. I'll do what you recommended and let you kno the out come.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

you got it. Talk to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Have a good night