Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I was having trouble getting my 2007 Versa to shift into

Customer Question

Hi, Tom. I was having trouble getting my 2007 Versa to shift into park as once I finally did, the key wouldn't turn to the lock position, menaing it also won't come out of the ignition. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Most of the time what I have seen is if there is a weak battery it can keep the key from fully turning to the lock position, which can also affect shifter operation as well.

Did you use the emergency release to put the car in park?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is brand new, less than a month old. The car eventually went into park after I drove out of the parking space and back in again and wiggled it a little.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This could be a adjustment on the transmission. If you press the shifter forward and wiggle will the key come out?

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, doing that didn't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm medium handy. Can do basic automotive stuff, though nothing require specialized tools since I don't have them.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How handy are you?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well for the key not to lock so it could be removed, there is a adjustment at the trans that would need to be done or checked. This my require a special tool to check the alignment of the PNP ( park neutral position ) switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How/where would I find that and what would it look like if something was wrong?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Can you find where the shifter cable mounts on the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a time restraint on your availability? I'm away from home and need to get the car back to my garage before I can start really poking around
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Not at all. But I am only online in the evenings around 7 pm EST till 10 or 11 pm. So if you can't check tonight, we can check tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, tomorrow would work great. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will there be an additional cost if our conversation spans more than one day?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No, the price of the question will remain the same. Talk to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I will be online in about a hour. So if you would like to continue later this evening, just reply back. I will be online till 10 or 11 pm EST

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help, we found the problem. It was the console, the sensor that tells the ignition that the car is in Park wasn't working so we disabled it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Glad you found the problem.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!