Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 1999 Nissan Maxima will not start it no crank no start

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Do you have a Volt Meter or Test light to do some checks? Also does the car have a after market remote start or alarm that you know of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No volt meter and no alarm I get in hit the key and nothing but a click lights come on radio comes on and antenna goes up but won't crank or anything
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Single Click or Rapid clicking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Single click
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. A single click is a sign of a bad Starter. You will need to replace your starter to resolve your issue.

What happens is there are brushes in the starter that through time and age wear down. So when you try to start the car, since the brushes are worn, they won't make contact with the armature properly so it just clicks. Some times if you tap the starter with a hammer while holding the key in the crank position ( meaning you need another person to help you ) the starter will engage cause the vibration will allow the brushes to make contact.

So that is what a single click means. You will need a starter.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a starter
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I just typed to you stating that it is a starter issue. Did you see my reply?