Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2010 nissan versa sedan, door handle is loose and slides

Customer Question

2010 nissan versa sedan, door handle is loose and slides back and forth , broke lock cover. took it apart,the handle is not broken just slides back enough to hit lock cover. in front of handle the part has a lug with a small hole in it but no pin. Is it supposed to have a pin? There is a pocket in the plastic piece the door handle fits into inside the car that has grease in it where a pin might fit. Does not seem to have anything to keep the handle from moving back and force as you open the door.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Can you take a picture of what your referring to? Something must be broke of the handle pulls back enough to damage the lock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just slides back and forth. I took the whole thing apart. The holder for the door handle seems to have all the parts. My question is pretty simple, what keeps the handle from sliding back and forth? There is a small hole in the handle in the part that fits into the plastic holder, is there supposed to be a pin in that hole as the holder has a pocket on each side with a bit of grease in the pocket. A spring somewhere? Right now you have a movement of about 1/8 as you open the handle and it slides back hitting the plastic cover over the lock. It is a regular lock not the intelligent lock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has a power lock.

Are we talking about the handle on the exterior of the car, or the interior of the car? The exterior handle should not be able to slide at all. The interior handle can slide back and forth if the screw is missing. Which handle is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The exterior drivers side handle. It slides back and forth.

I'm sorry, but without seeing it, I am having a hard time visualizing it. I will attach the repair information for it. Please look at it and let me know if it contains the information your looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cggr9ugbs1fl99i/versa.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looked at the pictures , about as clear as mud in relation to small part detail. What holds the handle from sliding back in the plastic holder? As far as I can see the only thing holding my handle from sliding back is the lock assembly which has a piece which sits on the rim and projects forward almost hitting the handle. When you tighten the back screw it pulls the lock assembly tight against the sheet metal and pulls the plastic inside holder up tight against the sheet metal. However there does not seem to be anything holding the handle in place except that metal piece on the lock body. When it slides back it hits that and stops. The problem is when you raise the handle to open the door, the curved part on the bottom of the handle which hooks over the paddle arm is further away so the whole handle can than move back to strike the plastic cover over the lock. Looking at your picture and my parts there is no obvious thing holding the handle from moving back as you open the lock except the lock extension which seems to be to short and it is a new part identical in dimension to the old lock which stripped out the screw thread.

Again, without a picture or seeing it myself, I am not totally clear on what is happening. Is it the handle itself moving within the door handle assembly? Is it the entire assembly moving within the opening in the door? I am beginning to think that the handle itself is moving within the door handle assembly in which case replacing the door handle assembly will be the solution to the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the front of the handle there is a raised part which slips into the front of the inside holder. that part has a small hole in it that alin with slots in the inside plastic holder , almost like there is supposed to be a pin in that hole to rotate the handle around as you raise it to open the door. I cannot see any such part in your drawing, does it exist? Yes the entire handle moves back and forth and 3/16 or so. It the door handle assembly is part 80605H how does it hold the handle in place? Mine seems intact yet the handle moves back and forth and it is a new handle, move just like the old one.

Ok. I am sorry, but If the information is not contained within the pdf I attached then I would need to see a pciture to determine what the problem is. Are you able to upload a picture depicting the problem? If not, please let me know and I will opt out so somebody else can have a shot at it.