sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I own a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE and have several issues

Customer Question

Hi Ryan,
I own a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE and have several issues all electrical related. The dash lights run on 3 sets of wires as you know--one for speedo/gas, one for tach/thermo, and one for odometer-- there seems to be an issue with a main connection in the cluster as all three sets shut off and on randomly. Sometimes I have half of my lights, sometimes the other half, and currently none. My sunroof works, but sometimes, and currently, I will hit the open button and it will only open about one inch at a time, and I will need to repeatedly hit the button until sunroof is completely open or closed. My blower motor is having non-resistor related issues. Sometimes it works perfectly according to climate control and other times it doesn't engage whatsoever. This problem should be easy to fix, but the prior electrical issues have me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The car has 100,000 miles. Thank you
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You mentioned possibly taking the instrument cluster apart so I'm wondering if you actually verified there is power on the illumination circuit when it isn't lighting. Is there actually power coming to the cluster? That would indeed confirm an internal cluster issue.

Do you have automatic temperature control? Have you tested for power and ground at the blower motor when it won't run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.
I have not taken anything apart yet because I researched and found out a lot of pathfinders have the backlight problem, and didn't know if there was a typical solution. As for the ground wire, I'm almost positive that IS just a ground wire. It is the dash light issue I am most concerned with since I have never had this issue and don't know how to fix it. How would you recommend troubleshooting?

Is the a/c control head and radio illumination still working at the time the cluster isn't?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all other components are working except the clock in middle of the dash turns off and on about as often as other components. Is there a common connection between the dash light cluster and click backlight? Note that the time is correct after light failure; I do not need to reset the clock any time it fails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The aftermarket radio does fail about once a month now that I think about it not nearly as often as other electronic components though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clock*

Have you tried moving the dimmer when the illumination doesn't work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried with no luck

What will need to be done is remove the instrument cluster and test the illumination power and ground circuits while the lights are not working. The power feed wire is the pink/green in pin 64, the ground is the pink/black next to it in pin 65. If one or the other is missing then there is a wiring issue which probably isn't the case, if power and ground are good then the problem is internal in the cluster. If the bulbs are good then it will require replacement of the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave it some gas on the highway and the speedo side came on. Probably coincidence

If part of the illumination works then the issue is going to either be bulbs or an internal issue in th cluster, power and ground to the cluster have to be good at that time if some illumination does work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That narrows it down at least. If I have the cluster apart is there something in the wiring that I should look for? A connection that might be loose or something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see the previous message. Thank you for the advice I'll tear it apart tomorrow

You're welcome and good luck with it!