Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2004 Nissan, I replaced the battery and the alternator a few

Customer Question

2004 Nissan, I replaced the battery and the alternator a few weeks ago, then today the alternator stopped charging,,,,I had it tested on the vehicle at Auto Zone and it was not charging, I removed it and checked it on two different machines,,it is charging, I put it back on the truck and it will not charge. Any Ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you have a volt meter? Also, I assume the alternator was bench tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was tested by autozone on the truck and on the bench,,it charges on the bench but not on the truck, I also took it to Advance and checked it on their bench, it charges fine. Yes I do have a volt meter and a battery load tester.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It wont charge in the truck cause it can't handle a load. When you bench test the alternator, you are not putting a load on it.

Since you have a volt meter, if you can start the truck and measure voltage directly on the alternator and if it is not charging, then you know its the alternator. If it is a wiring issue, you would still see charging voltage at the alternator cause it is spinning to build current.

It has become ver common for after market alternators not to work right. If you do get one that works, you will be lucky if it lasts a year.

Do you want to check that and get back to me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it tomorrow and reply,,and I am aware of bad aftermarket parts, this is actually a friends truck and I have not checked it personally,,I will have him bring it to me. I just thought that their may be a common wiring, or ground problem with this particular vehicle. Thanks.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No wiring issues. Normally it is just the after market part that is the problem.

Let me know how you make out and if you have any more questions on this tomorrow

Thanks Jay