Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima that I have changed out both

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima that I have changed out both Camshaft Position Sensors and the Crankshaft position sensor. The car still quits abruptly after running about an hour. After it cools off for a couple of hours it will start back and run again for about the same time. What could be the problem. Even though the car has 225K miles it has been well taken care of and I've never had any other problems.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Did you have a code for the Cam or Crank Sensor? is that why your replaced them? Also, where did you buy the sensors? Auto Parts store or Dealer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the codes from O'Reilly Auto Parts. The code said camshaft and I just replaced the crankshaft after the camshafts did not fix. I got all three from the parts house.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you replaced the sensors with sensors from O'Reilly's, that is most likely your issue. After Market electrical parts never work right on these cars. After Market Cam and Crank Sensors are known to continue to cause Cam or Crank Sensor codes, Hard Start with no codes sometimes, Stalling with no codes sometimes, and can cause intake timing codes which make you think there is a problem with the timing chain when it's the Cam Sensors or Crank sensor the whole time.

I would put your Crank Sensor back in, cause they never go and replace both Cam Sensors with ones from the dealer and clear the codes and that should resolve your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!