Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

I have a nissan tino 1999 (1.6 l) last 6 years and overall

Customer Question

I have a nissan tino 1999 (1.6 l) for the last 6 years and overall I'm more than pleased with it. No problems so far and I have 250,000 km!
Two months ago the engine icon was lit and stayed tit for two days. I went to a mechanic and he said that's normal check and it will stop in one or two days. And he was right, the next day it stopped flashing and everything went back to normal. But after a while I realised that the petrol consumption went up significantly. Usually on open road I made 650-700 km with one full tank (refill 53 litres) and now I have only 580-620 km with one tank. I've changed oil filter, engine oil, gear oil, spark plugs, air filter and nothing happened. I went to a Nissan mechanic who put the computer and said the engine is running perfectly! I read on the net (for other nissan problems) that when the engine icon is lit and the problem is not fixed, the auto-computer is taking the new parameters as the good ones and reset itself to the new ones. Is this right? What else can be the problem? Can I reset the computer to factory settings (maybe by cutting the battery power?)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

yes you can reset the computer by removing both battery cables and clamoing them together for 10 mins to reset all the modules on the car

I'd also check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot, I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,I've seen the answer in the same day you've posted it, on your site. Thank you very much.
Still I'd have liked to have more info. For example, resetting the computer can solve my problem or not? Are there any risks involved in resetting the computer? And the two battery cable need clamping, or it's enough just removing them from the battery?
Anyway, tomorrow I'll go to the Nissan Service with your answer and see what they can do.
Thanks again.Best regards,Marius
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Marius

resetting the ECU in this fashion is safe but you may lose your radio key code ( if your model has this feature)

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.