Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I am new here. I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra. Have not had any

Customer Question

Hi. I am new here. I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra. Have not had any problems lately but this morning out of the blue I do. I started my car to take my daughter to school and it was fine. Put the car in reverse and my dashboard flickered. Stepped on the gas and started backing out and the dashboard went completely dark and all needles fell to 0. Stepped on brake and it all came back on. Stepped on gas and they all went out again.Brake , again, back on. This continued for 1/4 mile. Turned out of my driveway onto the road and the guage went off again and this time my engine got sluggish. I pushed the gas but it wouldn't go any faster. All instruments were at 0 and the lights on the panel were out. SIDENOTE.... the radio and its display stayed on and it was also started raining this morning. Any advice would be welcome. I am a do it yourself kinda girl out of necessity so if anyone has any idea of what it is or what to check, i would greatly appreciate the help.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Do you have a volt meter? It almost sounds like a weak battery or charging system. It can cause the meter to flicker and go out like you are describing.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But would the radio stay on during that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TBH... just replaced the battery like four months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It may or may not. It all depends what happens with low voltage.

You may have a Alternator not charging the battery properly. If you have a volt meter I can help you to determine this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I need to step away from the computer for about a hour. Can you wait for me to return?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I am at home and i do not have a voltometer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting.. I would recommend you have the Alternator checked to see if it's charging properly. If it's not charging properly it can run the battery down which can cause what you are experiencing.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!