Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

04 titan 118k miles. Driving along approx 65mph, truck

Customer Question

04 titan 118k miles. Driving along approx 65mph, truck backfires repetedly, eventually comes to complete stop, wont restart.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

One common cause for the backfiring and stall no start on your Titan can be caused by a failing Crankshaft position sensor and it will not always set a fault code. In most cases when the sensor fails you will loose spark as well as injector pulse. Start with making sure the connection to it is clean and tight and if so, consider replacing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was thinking ecu, but it still has communication with my scan tool. It does read one code p1540 ascd switch (cruise control) and it seems as though the switch has gone bad as there is no "cruise" light in the cluster shown. also, cam sensor was replaced about 1500 miles ago, but that wouldnt make the truck just die going down the road.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would take look at the Crankshaft position sensor signal when the problem is occurring. I suspect you may have a defective sensor and As I mentioned, it will not always set a fault code right away.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Backfiring in most all cases is caused by a timing concern providing the fuel pressure is holding steady as stated.