SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE REPAIRING FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC VEHICLES
8532170

I have a 2002 xterra s/c did a timing belt and decided to

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2002 xterra s/c did a timing belt chang and decided to change the front crank seal stupid me scored it when I removed it and was thinking what I could do either sleeve it or any other smart ideas to fix it
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scored he crankshaft with a screaw
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 1 year ago.

do you think you scored it that bad that a piece of emery cloth can't smooth it out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried because it's in there

if you just grazed it with a screw there's a good chance you can fix it with just a piece of sandpaper. You will have to remove the seal to get a better look at the crank shaft condition

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Theres no way to get sand paper in there

can you take a picture of the area you are talking about? I don't understand why the crank seal can't be removed and a piece of emery cloth put around the shaft and sanded . seen it done before and done a few myself.

the problem lies in whether a sleeve repair kit is even available because the crankshafts are known for wearing out.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya got one off rock auto and the problem is that the oil pump is around where the shaft is scored or I would of sanded it already it's a small cavity

where the scratches are they pose absolutely no threat to the seal and it will not leak as a result.

the scoring or scratch would have to be around the shaft itself where the lip of the seal rides.

you won't have a problem putting this back together

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya it's on the shaft
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you remove the seal or what's your technique

they make seal removers but I just use a thin blade screwdriver or angled pick tool and carefully get under the seal and pry away from the shaft and work the seal out of the cover. The seal shouldn't be in there very tight so it should come out easily.

Installation is important. make sure you lube the inner part of the seal well and work the seal over the shaft by hand making sure the seal lip does not roll. then use a socket that is the size of the seal and gently tap the seal flush with the cover

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm gonna go back I and try to sand the shaft with emery cloth first which grit should I go with just the fine stuff and I just ordered a lisle seal puller so it saves me I the future so this don't happen and I don't wanna use the redi sleeve yet

yes don't use the redi sleeve unless you absolutely have to.

I would not go any rougher than 180 grit on the emery cloth.

the Lisle seal puller will help, that's a good tool to have