Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Back to my pathfinder 1987 3.0 V6 Throtllebody situation

Customer Question

back to my pathfinder 1987 3.0 V6 Throtllebody situation Runs well without air cleaner once it is installed it runs rough?? Starviung for air? tried all the ideas that the mechanics suggested..New sensors so whats my next move?? Byron watson
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tried a different brand air filter? That is about the only thing I could see causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs rough without filter also?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you said it ran well without air cleaner before so if it still runs rough then something else is going on. Does it clear up at all when giving it gas? What all has been replaced? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it clear up when pressing gas at all? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will send ans in few hrs ths
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ran it yesterday ran okay i adjusted idle screw on side of the body increase idle to 900 to 1000 rpms still no filter try that today.. seems to run rich?how to lean out?any ideas ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What sensors did you replace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mass air flow & tps.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the front oxygen sensor and et me know if that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan Can you give me a description of thefront oxygen sensor &location I have the shop manual cannot find it ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The oxygen sensor is located on exhaust manifold. Let me know if you find it, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi dan sorry for the delay. oxygen sensor replaced 6 months ago. car runs fine with no air cleaner. once installes rpm drops &idles rough rpm 850 to 900..what do eye do? its a strange deal. never seen this before..any ideas?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is***** has opt'd out cause he feels he can not help you. So I will be taking over this question.

These older Nissan trucks had two fuel injectors on the throttle chamber. Most of the time these injectors would start to dump to much fuel which can make the truck run poorly. Removing the air filter would only allow more air to the engine. But it sounds to me like you will need injectors. They come as a pair and are common to go on these older trucks.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had them replaced 6months ago?I do notice when acceleration whissel noise? thanks What about a low restricted air filter
K&N type?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

K&N air filters are not really recommended on these vehicles cause of the way it creates a air vortex. It makes the MAF sensor not meter air properly.

If you replaced the injectors 6 months ago, I know you would think they should be ok. But you still want to double check them to make sure they are not dumping to much fuel. If it's not a fuel issues where it's dumping to much fuel, it could be a MAF sensor issue. This is mounted on the side of the throttle chamber. You can certainly remove it and try using MAF sensor cleaner to clean it to see if that helps. Other wise, the MAF sensor is what meters the air going into the engine and tells the computer how much fuel to add. So if that is not metering air properly that also can be causing your issue.

So those are some things you are going to want to check to resolve your issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try to clean maf and return results thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sure, let me know how you make out. I offered you Additional Service if you would like to speak with me.

Thanks Jay!