Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Jay, I have a 2001 nissan frontier, and when I stop at a red

Customer Question

Hey Jay, I have a 2001 nissan frontier, and when I stop at a red light, the rpm,s drop and the engine sputters (I have to put it in neutral sometimes). The service engine soon light is on, and has started blinking.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

off idle and driving will it drive fine at speed ?

will the light only come on or blink at idle ? or when driving it the light will blink ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will drive fine at speed, but the light is always on. It just started blinking today.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

usually when the check engine lights are blinking it means the engine has a misfire in it which can be anything from a vacuum leak to valve timing being off to a spark plug or injector issue causing a misfire

are you planing on fixing this yourself ? or looking for a good idea before it goes into the shop ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to fix it myself if it's simple, if not, I'll take it in (so I need ideas too). I read that it might be the EGR valve?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it could be but usually would set a code

i would fist make sure there are NO vacuum leaks at all at idle spraying around the top of the engine with some carb cleaner with the little hose on it and see if any area you hit the idle changes or the engine revs up or stalls

if there are NO vacuum leaks at all check the spark plugs and also be sure none of the wires are cut or split or damaged to the spark plugs