Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

I had my oil changed This past Saturday, The garage did not

Customer Question

I had my oil changed This past Saturday, The garage did not put iol or a filter back in. I drove it 4 miles before noticing a clanging in the engine. What damage can this cause and does this shorten the life of the motor 138,000 miles
mlmaster529&gmail.com
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

running the engine without oil will cause the bottom end bearings to run without oil and damage them and damage the cam and cam bearings

this has shorted the life of this engine greatly

if the engine is nice and quiet now filled with oil and it has good oil pressure ask the shop for some kind of responsibility if there is any engine failure in the near future or ask for a new engine up front

i am sure the shop knows they made a mistake and has admitted to it so get what you can out of this shop now with it being a new or rebuilt engine or some kind of extended engine warranty out of them but in a nut shell that engine was damaged and if not showing signs of it right now it will in the near future

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have noticed that the engine is somewhat noisier now, of course my concern is the future life of the motor.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if that engine is noisy with the oil full demand a new engine as it will not last long at all

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here