Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2006 nissan Frontier is giving codes: PO011. PO021, and

Customer Question

My 2006 nissan Frontier is giving codes: PO011. PO021, and PO051 and has low oil pressure when engine is warm and idling.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey, before we get started.

I assume you checked the oil level? just making sure because the P0011 and P0021 and common codes for low oil level as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even changed the oil.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

How low is the pressure when checked with a gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but into the low area. I have not seen the light come on, but I do start hearing slight engine noise.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** a couple things on these engines that can cause low oil pressure at idle.

The more common ones are the upper chain tensioners and the rear timing cover gasket at the IVT oil passage plate.

Both of which are pretty labor some repairs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the front timing cover off, the two plates (the Y and C looking plates with the philips head screws) I have taken off, the gaskets look fine. I don't really seen anything wrong with the chain tensioners, but haven't looked closely. What should I look for? What about the oil pump itself? All of this started, after I drove it about 5 miles just to get it home with the catalytic converter stopped up could that have done anything to cause the problem?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

No the catalytic converter itself wont cause any of these issues.

Did you check the pick up tube to see if it have anything blocking it?

Don't really see many issues with the oil pumps on these engines. Granted any oil pump can fail, just don't see alot of them on these.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just thinking of the pressure building up in the engine while it was stopped up. So far as the pickup tube, I have not taken the oil pan off, but it has good oil pressure until you drive it 7-8 miles while it is cold, the pressure will not fall even at idle.I really don't know where to go from here and I don't think the pick up tube should be stopped up. The engine only has 78,000 miles on it. I have always ran Mobile 1 and changed it regularly.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

The upper chain tensioners guides wearing through the plastic is what will be an obvious indicator for them causing a pressure loss.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that is it, I don't know. I will look, but it never made any noise until now. If the chain was rubbing, I think I would have heard it when I drove the vehicle. But I will look. Because I don't know what else it could be unless it is the pump or there is another way for the engine to lose oil pressure. I'm pretty sure all this is oil pressure related because I got the codes on both sides (banks) came on at the same time.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Assuming you changed the oil and filter, inspected the rear timing cover gaskets, and secondary tensioners, your looking at inspecting the pick up tube or the oil pump here.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Yes, those codes will come on with low oil level (causing air to get trapped) or low oil pressure.

They also happen with sludge build up, but if you change oil regularly and use Mobil 1 i don't forsee that being remotely likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only taken the front timing cover off not the rear and I took those two plates (right behind the front cover) as I said off . Is there there something behind the rear cover that could cause this?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Sorry! got tied up.

Aside from the gaskets there are multiple O-rings behind the rear cover. Realistically anyone could leak, but its the accessible plates on the rear cover with the gaskets that are notorious for leaking. Most times you can even find the gasket material in the oil pan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, I'll put it back together and hope for the best. Check the pick-up may even change the oil pump because I don't know what else to do.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome, if you run into further questions just ask me.

Follow up on the same question is always free.

Also please remember to leave me a kind rating. thanks