Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Jay, I wanted to ask a new questions so you got credit. I

Customer Question

HI Jay,
I wanted to ask a new questions so you got credit for it. I lifted the hood because my front windshield wiper fluid pump seems to not be working (yes, there is fluid in it). In fact, when I pressed it, the fluid "blew back" into the engine. I only have 300 miles left on my all coverage warranty so I'm taking it back tomorrow. I sure hope they aren't sabotaging my car because of the end of the warranty. In any case, when I opened the hood to look at the air intake cowling, I saw the attached picture. This material appears to be very cheap and I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but definitely is closely attached to some air intake process.
Can you let me know what this is and if the mice could enter this way?
Thanks, Steve
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you follow the washer hose to see if the hose broke or if the nozzle is hooked up or broken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot get to the connects under the car, so I will take it in. I am still completely puzzled by what this thing is. Its flimsy and seems to serve no purpose.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

that is to keep water or any dirt or stuff in the engine bay away from the cowl. It also helps the hood seal better since the hood line is not exactly lined to the cowl. I know it's odd. I did not design it. I just work on them..lol..