Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2005 Altima 2.5L. My mechanic installed a used

Customer Question

Hello..I have a 2005 Altima 2.5L. My mechanic installed a used engine after an accident. Now the engine is surging at Idle. And on top of that he is not sure why? (bad choice to allow him to do the switch) not sure if he put the old throttle body on the replacement?
Is the relearn or programming a dealer function only?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

The car will need a Idle Relearn done. That is what the car is going to need. When you get the Surging Idle, it's hard to get that under control to get the relearn to take. It is best done with a scanner but if you like I can share the manual steps with you and explain a few things to try to see if you can get the Idle to stop surging to get the relearn to take. If my tricks do not work, then you will have to take it to the dealer.

Do you think if I provide the steps you can do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I can at least try...This would still need to be done if he used the original throttle body?
Also the vehicle is still at his shop. Is it ok to drive home in this condition? about 5 miles...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't mater which throttle body if the engine was changed. Just make sure he didn't clean the throttle chamber with Throttle Chamber cleaner or something. That cleaner is really not good for electronic controlled throttle chambers. It could damage them. So let me start by sharing the manual steps with you.

As for is it safe to drive, How far is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 5 miles...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Idle%20relearn%202002%20and%20up%20no%20consult.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Idle%20relearn%202002%20and%20up%20no%20consult%202.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Idle%20relearn%202002%20and%20up%20no%20consult%203.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Idle%20relearn%202002%20and%20up%20no%20consult%204.jpg

Those are the manual relearn steps. One thing I try is unplugging a injector while it's running and then plug it back in and see if I get only a high idle. That may work. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins, then trying the relearn steps may work also. I have also unplugged the throttle chamber and MAF sensor started the car and let it run for a min, then turn it off and plug them back in, clear codes and try the relearn also.

If none of that works, then you will need a scanner to do it, and the dealer may be the best place for it.

If it's 5 miles, I would say you can if you take your time and drive safely.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jay...This should get me started. I think my best bet is to get the vehicle home to try these procedures before taking to the dealer. I don't think I want my mechanic experimenting and making the situation worse. I will let you know the results. I'm sure I will have more questions as I read the procedure...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In what order should these be performed? Idle air volume first? then Accelerator Pedal Released Position? Then Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning?Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You want to get the car warmed up. Then follow the steps in the order provided