Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I shorted an accessory on my 2005 Xterra Since then, there

Customer Question

I shorted an accessory on my 2005 Xterra
Since then, there was no power in my rig... tested the battery, it is good, tested EVERY fuse in the rig, both visual, and tone (continuity) all test fine... voltage at battery is 12.78, voltage on Fuse block all connectors is 12.78, checked power at IPDM 12.78, then went in the cab... the Green wire connection on the drivers side door panel, only reads 1.2v. It has been sitting for a week... with the hood closed but not latched... got real cold last night, and we had rain the last two days... as I was leaving for work today, I walked by the truck, and noticed the exterior lights were on... so went in the rig, turned off the headlamps, then turned the key, and it didn't have enough to start, but it was working... Prior to this, i would go in the can (in complete darkenss) and you could barely see both hazard indicators lit up, if I put the key in, and turned it, only the airbag light would light, and then fizzle out.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, have you tried using a another battery? or jumper cables to try and start the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was going from lead acid to agm... Both batteries are good. Also tried jumping it with my Volvo.. Still nothing.. Voltage is good everywhere but on the cab on the green wire.. This morning, the lights were on! I left then turned on when I was testing... That was leading me to believe a relay was stuck, I just don't know which one it could be... I swapped the ipdm relay with the one on it's left
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason I was thinking relay is because it got real cold here last night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested all the relays tonight they all switch... Tomorrow in an going to twelve the battery connector terminals.. I am hoping that my money will buy more insight other than a rookie step. I have checked every fuse for continuity, checked every relay for the switching sound, tested both batteries, checked the fuse block for continuity, checked the ipdm for voltage, all is good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you would like to troubleshoot via phone with me I can be reached at three 03 9 six eight for 5 sev3n one. Sorry for the coded number, didn't know if a "bot" would remove the number.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I don't get on much on the weekends because i spend alot time with my kids.

I assume you inspected the fusible links on the positive battery terminal as well correct?

i don't mean to sound like I am giving you "rookie" advice, but last thing I want to do is skip anything obvious before we dig too deep into this.

I also want to make sure your battery ground is good, since they are known to rust and corrode at the firewall.

Lastly, was there anything siginificant the happened prior to this? did the vehicle stall while driving? was there water damage? a wreck? anything of that nature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already fixed it
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

ahhh good deal!

thanks for following up and letting me know.

have a good evening.