Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

05 armarda..break shudders,and grinding sound while driving.

Customer Question

05 armarda..break shudders,and grinding sound while driving. VRC and break light cuts on..does the computer have to be reprogrammed and the software updated,or is a new break booster needed ,or both?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Symptoms of a bad brake booster are low brake pedal, a brake pedal that applies and then fades, or spongy feeling brakes.

Symptoms of worn out brake pads and rotors are shuddering and grinding. The wheel speed sensors are on the wheel hubs right next to the brake parts on this car and I have seen brakes wear badly enough to leave metal filings on the speed sensor (essentially a small magnet) which will then trigger the VSC light to come on.

I think the first step will be to get the brakes inspected for wear.

When were the brakes replaced last?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 month ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The breaks are fine..the shuddering and grinding sound happens while driving. .the VRC.light and break light comes on without applying the break. .
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If it makes the noise whether you are braking or not, that could be a drivetrain problem. That means that the problem could be in the transmission, transfer case, or front or rear axles. Your best bet would be to have the computer scanned for trouble codes. A good scan tool should be able to pick up a trouble code from whichever system is triggering the light.

If the ABS light is on also, I would look back towards the suspension system. When the front wheel bearings go bad on this vehicle it can cause the wheel speed sensor to lose connection and trigger the ABS light and VDC light.

You could lift the whole vehicle on jack stands and put it in gear and listen to see if you can tell if the noise is coming from the front wheels.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trouble code is c1179..delta sensor
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If that code is stored then you should start with a reprogram. It does not explain the grinding noise though. That is mechanical.