Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Replaced water pump and thermostat and rad cap.... no heat

Customer Question

Replaced water pump and thermostat and rad cap.... no heat (yes I bled air)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Let me explain how to bleed the coolant system, so you can at least attempt to bleed it correctly. Once you bleed it the way I describe, see if you get a pattern of constant bubbles. Also it can take 1/2 hour to a hour to bleed after you replace a thermostat or water pump.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad%20mona%27s%20car%20bleed%20coolant.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Bleeding%20Coolant%20system.jpg

If you can't get a coolant bucket, you can use a funnel the same way.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fill%20Rad%20Home%20Job%20Funnel.jpg

Give this a try and let me know how you make out..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have bled my system multiple times I will try it this exact way, which is pretty close to the way I have done it, let me go into more detail and hopefully I can feel comfortable spending 50 dollars on this.... one day I randomly overheated while driving (never happened before) I pulled over reserve was low I filled and drove home (still overheated) (lost heat) I changed thermostat, bled system, still no heat and overheated, I reversed heater core hoses after a flush because I felt that it was flowing through that way easily and it worked for a week I had full heat and did not over heat, until few days ago, so I just now changed my water pump, I started to bled but I gave up, the weird thing I noticed was that when I hooked my reserve tank up above rad cap (hung from hood with wire) I actually had some heat then it went away (this was few days ago when I tried to rebleed system) once I bring coolant reserve down into its proper spot I feel the heater core hoses don't get flow. Does this make sense? As of right now I have one hose hot one cold, (please tell me which hose is the in and out)
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, I can tell you that the 1.8's did tend to have head gasket issues. So this could be your issue. It is pumping compression into the coolant system which is affecting flow. When there is air in the coolant system, you will get no heat and can over heat.

If you bleed the way I described and get a constant pattern of bubbles, that is a sign of a bad head gasket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I know other than this that it's a head gasket issue I did a compresson test (not to full standards) and checked spark plugs those were all clean, compresson was 150 150 150 and 160,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is how I bled mine
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Compression test won't show a bad head gasket.

That way is not really the best way to bleed it. Try the steps I gave you and see what you get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK my oil is Clean and spark plugs are as well... I won't be able to try this until the morning do I have a time frame as to when and for how long I can speak with you, any other reasons why I have no heat or proper flow to core?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can keep this question open. That is not a problem. I am not online during the day. I am online in the evenings. So you would need to get back to me then and let me know how you make out.

I will wait to hear from you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last thing for now, by constant bubbles (referring to head gasket issue) do you mean lots of bubbles non stop? When I bleed I get bubbles then longer periods without any then bubbles again. If you could explain I can look for this tomorrow
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you bleed it the why I described, if you keep getting bubbles and you can almost form a pattern to it, that is a sign of a bad head gasket.

The car I have at work right now, it blows so much compression into the coolant system that it just keeps overflowing the coolant bucket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm worried that I have a blown head and then I'm just going to scrpa my car, can I bled it without a funnel I have on but it's small and won't fit snug in Rad cap, just have cap off and let it bubble there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have full heat now I see foam tho sometimes and bubbles when I rev
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you put anything in the coolant system like stop leak or anything?

Bubbling when you rev it is normal. When you rev the engine, you want to do it smoothly.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I will be online later this evening around 7 pm EST and be online till 10 or 11 pm so you know when you can find me to continue.

Talk to you then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but maybe to much water? I don't have any bubbles any more I will drive around today and see what happens when lowered and driven
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll message back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cold air again....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Rev for 15th seconds and it's hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost heat after driving for about 5 minutes and then when I parked I over heated and when car turned of you can hear sounds coming for reserve....... is it my cap? Please answer I néed help now
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a head gasket. Would it be easier if you spoke with me? I am currently working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cat afford the phone call or a head gasket. Car didn't actually seem like it was over heated
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

All it takes is air pockets and it will pin the gauge.. Do you know if the cooling fans work?

If you start the engine and turn the AC on, does the cooling fans work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cooling fans work I took out for a other drove I had a tint bit of heat on occasion and I did not spike gauge.. I don't think it's my head.. what else? Isn't my heater core or still bad air inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for spelling is it my heater core? Or a bad air pocket that won't come out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know how to remove the timing chain or keep it in place to get to the head gasket
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am limited to one topic per question. If bleeding the coolant system the way I described helped give you heat, and the cooling fans work, when you drove the car you lost heat. Yes you have a bad head gasket.

Any steps involving the head gasket would require another question since that is a different topic. But I normally use a coat hanger and hook the chain to hold it up.

If you have any more questions on topic, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!