AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Trying to find a fix fuel gauge problem

Customer Question

Trying to find a fix for the fuel gauge problem
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

What state are you in? Are you looking to send your gauge assembly out for repair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New jersey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I want to repair it myself
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

perfect.. In northern NJ in Mahwah, there is a place called Model Electronics. They repair Meter Assemblies..

There is no data available to repair it yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work on electronics and repair cell phones and also do car electronics installations
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I will have to opt out then. This information is not available to us.

I will open up the question and see if any one else has information on this for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This didn't help me at all
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. It sounds like you need to replace the stepper motor. I replace them all the time. It costs me about 20.00 for the stepper motor, and takes about an hour to take the cluster apart and replace the motor. There are probably videos on youtube showing how to do this, but basically you have to remove the clear lens, put some scotch tape under the needles on the display and take a pen and mark on the tape your needle locations so you can make sure to return your needles in the right position. You will have to remove every one. Now, using something like a trim removal tool or a fork, pry up on the needles to remove them from the stepper motor. Keep them organized. Once they are all removed, the cluster separates into 2 pieces. You can find something to wedge under each tab to hold them up while you separate the 2 halves. There are quite a few tabs and they all need to be released. Once you have the cluster separated, you will be able to pull the green circuit board out. that may be held in with screws or more plastic tabs. You'll know when you get there. Once that's out you need to heat up the contacts to the stepper motor you wish to replace. and the motor will fall out. I have a small suction tool that sucks up the solder with the push of a button once it's melted. I got it on ebay. after you get the old one out, put some flux on your new stepper motor contacts and install it and solder it in. Now, reassemble it the way it came apart. You can get the stepper motor on ebay as well. Good luck.

If this answers your question, please remember to rate my service so I may receive credit. It is greatly
appreciated. If you have any other questions regarding this issue you can contact me right here at no charge
even after rating. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your automotive concerns.

Please let me know if this helped you or if you still need help. Thank you