Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 the temperature gauge goes up and

Customer Question

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 the temperature gauge goes up and down when I shift to D but when I shift to R, N and P the gauge come back fast to he normal temperature, I already replaced thermostat, temperature sensor cluster and the engine compartment fuse box .... Help me
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Can you use a scan tool to monitor the coolant temp to see what the readings are as well as monitor the temp at the thermostat housing to see if they match. I doubt the temp is actually fluctuating, and this concern is something electrical going on.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On live data the reading of temperature sensors is high when is in D at idle but if i shift to neutral quickly get the normal temperature 90• c also at the same time Ac compressor turn off and on several time ...

Will your tool also measure the transmission fluid temp sensor to see if its fluctuating and getting high?

How long must you be in drive idling for the temp to rise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I doesn't measure the trans fluid !!! Less then a minute but sometimes i does it right quick when I shift to drive idle but nothing happen when is on reverse, neutral or park!!

I am for sure its something electrical to blame, because coolant cant change temp this fast. With the hood open and an assistance watching the engine, does it move excessive when changing gears? A possible mount fault and a wire harness rubbing could be the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One month ago I replace the engine and transmission mounts so it doesn't move at all other thing is I took the car to the mechanic shop for electrical problem and they replace the front main fuse box they told me that was the problem but it wasn't that

Do you have the skills to unplug the coolant temp sensor and monitor it to power and ground ohm testing to see if the reading changes when shifted from D to R and back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

What would you like from me, that would make you pleased with my assistance being that your not able to perform any diagnostics. I want you pleased but we are stuck at not being able to test.

Hello again, I am sorry you were not pleased with my help.

I hate that you paid to get an answer but left, what appears to me, not satisfied.

Just so you know I am still here and available to help any day. We can start over fresh or just pick up where we left off.

Chris

Chris