Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My daughters 2008 Altima has some weird issues going. First

Customer Question

My daughters 2008 Altima has some weird issues going. First the AC acted up on long drives, It would go out during the trip then work fine again once at the destination. Some trips it works fine all together. The next thing that happened was the AC stopped working along with the power door locks and the radio. Then they all started working again. What would control all three of the devices at the same time?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Yea, it's a bit peculiar the 3 items you mentioned. While the A/C and radio could easily be tied together the power door locks is kind of the oddball as its not related to the circuits in anyway.

That being said could be a possible grounding issue that's causing intermittent issues with all 3. You may want to make sure the dash beam grounds are snug first of all then see if the problem persists.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the dash beam ground(s) located Jake?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

there are 3 of them inside the drivers door jamb facing the dash. There is 3 little black caps that come off to reach them.

Make sure they are snug but don't overtighten them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We checked the grounds and they were tight. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** some other dash grounds but they can be a pain to get to.

You might try the main battery ground as well, but usually when they are loose or corroded they will get warm and cause the battery light to come on.

Have you noticed any moisture in the floor? if you pull the carpet back on driver or passenger side a little is it wet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No wet carpet
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

How often does it happen? is it only on LONG commutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not always on long commutes but it has happened twice on long commutes this year when my daughter goes back and forth to college. Probably 2 out of 6 trips. Only the AC would go out. The fan always works. It has happened twice also just around her college. The latest was when the AC, radio, and door locks went out.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Yea, that is extremely peculiar and so intermittent that i understand the frustration from you and any techs that have been presented with it.

Generally intermittent issues like this require extensive diagnostic by ruling out potential possibilities, and even then sometimes can get missed because everything is working normal during the progressive testing phase.

So at this point until the symptoms reoccur your best would probably be to look over the power ground elements of the service manual and when you get time address all grounding points on that circuit. Also test from the fused panel forward for any loose fuses or bad connections etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome, if you want documentation just let me know and accept the offer.

The file is too large to post on this website so i will need to exchange emails privately to do so.

Once you accept an additional service a small "contact info" link appears above the chat box and allows us to exchange email IF you desire to do so.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

i'll be offline for a bit, gotta go get my daughter so will be on later tonight if you decide to do so.