Roger, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician
88470418

Do you know where the instrument cluster ground is nissan

Customer Question

do you know where the instrument cluster ground is for 98 nissan frontier 2wd auto trans 2.4l
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not what I'm looking for, maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I have 98 Nissan Frontier 2wd auto trans 2.4L the temp gauge and fuel gauge were both at hot and full the speedometer would not go over 20 mph no matter what speed you were traveling, first thought printed circuit board, being a Nissan Mechanic you know that is not replaceable, I found another instrument cluster in Chicago they claim they tested it and it works fine, I installed it into the truck I have the same problem temp and fuel at the top speedometer wont go over 20 mph. What could be causing this .1. bad ground and if so where are the grounds located specifically, behind panel, in door under hood etc.
2. what about eeprom?
3. If installed without disconnecting neg battery cable will that make a difference/
4. Any other ideas what could be the problem in simple english and I'm not looking for a referral to autozone repair help, if there are suggestions explain in simple english etc where to look and what to do when I find it.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello! The only ground I see for the cluster that's not through one of the sensors/switches that feed the cluster data is g200, which is behind the passenger side kick panel. Check that ground for corrosion, or just poor contact in general. There is a common issue with these clusters however, so it makes me wonder if the cluster you purchased was bad, whether they "tested" it or not. When you have to go aftermarket on parts it makes the first repair seem sketchy to begin with. There's nothing else that would cause so many guage issues at one time though, it's either the ground or bad cluster, or the connector on the back of the cluster itself, just look for pins/wires pulled out, corrosion, etc.