Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

No heat

Customer Question

no heat
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Did you bleed the coolant system after you did the work? If so, did you just add coolant? How did you bleed it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bled it by taking off the overfill hose and connected it with a hose to a container (hung up on a hood) and put a clip under the radiator cap washer and ran engine until engine got hot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how should I have bled it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I do recall that was a trick on some older cars. How ever, these cars are much more stubborn!

When you replace a T-stat or Radiator, it can take a 1/2 hour to a hour to bleed the coolant system.

Give me a min to type out how to bleed the coolant system for you on your car..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other things we found...
the gear to the actuator door was off and we put back on.
We also noticed the air conditioning compressor was kicking on intermediately so we removed fuse.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad%20mona%27s%20car%20bleed%20coolant.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Bleeding%20Coolant%20system.jpg

If you don't have or can't get a coolant bucket, you can use a Funnel the same way, you just may need to pinch off the over flow bottle hose.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fill%20Rad%20Home%20Job%20Funnel.jpg

That is how you bleed the coolant system.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have Auto Air system? Meaning on your air controller it has the Auto Feature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can't explain the AC coming on exactly with out being there to perform tests and checks.

But try the steps I provided on how to bleed the coolant system and see if it resolves your Heat issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you had the system on Defrost, Defrost always turns the AC compressor on. That could be it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, thanks. We'll look and get back to you.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Please get back to me and let me know how you make out and if you have any more questions on this topic.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, we bled it and still have no heat.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you do the touch test on the hoses. Are the upper and lower hose Hot? Also, are the heat core hoses hot?

Does the dial on the heater control change the temperature at all inside the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hoses are hot. The dial didn't change. Found gear off underneith the aculator door.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Can you manually move the door and see if you get heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still only very, very little heat
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you were able to move the door and have little heat, then you need to try to continue to bleed the coolant system to try to get all the air out.

You normally will reach one point where the coolant bucket wants to bubble over. That will normally happen right before the T-stat opens

Please spend a little more time bleeding. It takes me 1/2 hour to a hour and that is me knowing the tricks to bleed the air out of the system.

So rev the engine, turn it off a couple times and let the coolant settle and bubble out, and restart the engine again till you get heat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Keep me posted on how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no good we are talking no heat
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Heater core hoses are hot? You manually moved the air mix door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you get heat if you rev the engine and hold the Rpm's at 3k ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no none at all
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then something is going on with the air mix door if you have no temperature change.

Can you move that air mix door back and forth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it fine . i noticed ac commpressor engaging intermeditl y
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the mode on Face or Defrost?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
face
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have Manual Air Controls, the AC should not be coming on. If you operate the Air controller from hot to cold, does it cycle the actuator properly that you can tell?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

do you happen to have a Temp gun?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i dont
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, it sounds like something inside the car causing your issue. What I would do to verify it is use a Temp gun on both Heater Core hoses to see the temperature in is close to the temperature out. If it is, then something with the controller or Air Mix door is your issue.

If you have a big difference in temperature at the hoses, you could have something going on with the heater core.

Did you have good heat before you did the thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thats why we changed them then noticed the gear off the blend dood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
moves manualy fine
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well it could be something with that air bleed door causing your issue. I have seen where the foam seal that goes around the door doesn't allow the door to fully close and seal which could allow the air to cool and not allow heat.

So with out the seal around the door, it can affect heat operation.

That is the only other thing I can think of it being if everything else is checking out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should you not get some heat
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If the door does not seal, you may get only a slight warm air. It really depends on the outside air whether you are going to get some heat or none.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok working on iot
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You got it.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi sorry but drove for 30 miles got good heat but when at idle very little
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You drove 30 miles in 20 mins?

If you get heat when you drive, but not at idle, there has to be a air pocket or a circulation issue. Meaning the radiator could be restricting flow at idle but under pressure it will circulate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi jay could it be the rad. cap?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Not likely. Sounds more like a possible radiator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how about if i flush radiator?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome to try that, but it may not show the restriction. You didnt use any type of stop leak in the coolant system did you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
aalso the fans seem to almost run constant
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you happen to have a scanner to monitor coolant temp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but i can get one
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I would just be curious what the engine coolant temp sensor is saying the engine temp is. Also see if that sensor is causing the cooling fans to constantly come on.

The fans don't come on if the key is turned to the ON position ( Engine not running ) do they?