Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I've entered the payment, where is my answer? Or how do I

Customer Question

Hi Mike, i've entered the payment, where is my answer?
Or how long do I need to wait?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

What is your Question about your 2004 Maxima about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well it cranks, but does not start, also when I lock the car, the alarm should make a sound, which does not happen too. But when the key is in the on position, The radio is on, the dashboard lights are on...

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok...

First thing I would like you to check for me is if the Security Light is ON Solid when the key is in the On position?

Second, try holding down the lock and unlock button on the remote until the lights flash. That is how you would turn the horn on and off when using the remote.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The security light is not on and holding down is what I did before, the lights flashes the car locks and unlocks but no more sound, also I think the lights flashes are dimmer than before...

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Interesting. Did you have a Service Engine Soon light on the last time the car was running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but I have this on now, when I'm trying to start the engine.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The light is only on cause when you turn the key to the ON position, it is suppose to be on. It's part of bulb check.

Do you know if you have gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have gas, JAY.

Ok, I see we coming to the dumb point of tech call support when they start asking questions like - is the the power cable connected to the computer, is the power button on...

So before we continue down this road, let me describe what condition is the car - I bought this car 3 months ago from original owner, that took care of it and kept each and every record of this car. It's been inspected by e mechanic and besides the break pads on the front that need to be changed the condition of the vehicle was determent as excellent.

So now, if you have any idea what might be the problem?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This type of problem will require some checks to help isolate the issue.

The fact that the Horn does not operate with the remote and holding the lock and unlock button does not turn it on, does sound like it could be a BCM issue. The BCM also holds the programming for the keys.

Did you add remote start or anything to the car after you got it? Did you make another key or anything? Do you have another key you can try?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Please remember, I am not there to see exactly what the car is doing. So some questions you may find silly, is important information for me.

Also, did you happen to get gas recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes for the gas, I don't drive it often, I didn't make any changes to the car since I bought it, I don't have another key.

I don't have any tools to check up the spark plugs, the gas delivery system pressure or the air pressure.

All I have is my eyes, ears and hands.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You did recently get gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok... Now we many have something here. I have seen if you get bad gas or they put the wrong gas in the car this can happen.

How recent would you say you got gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

9/21/15 As I said I don't drive often, this car sits in the parking spot 5 days out of 7 the gauge shows half a tank full

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Are you located in the City or something?

I wonder if it's flooded. Try stepping on the Accelerator pedal all the way, turn the engine over a few times then try again with a slightly pressed petal and see if there is more of a response to try to start or see if it starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm located near the University and I walk there most of the time.

Tried both ways, nothing changed, although the remote lock got some weak noise, which disappeared was gone before.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I wonder if the battery maybe a little weak which may have caused the engine to turn slower than normal which can flood the engine.

Are you able to check spark plugs to see if they are soaked with fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have tools Jay.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Do you think you can get some tools to do some checks? I can keep this question open till you can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Jay, but to get the tools I need to get to the store, and I don't have another car....

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, if we can not do some basic mechanical checks, there is going to be no way to isolate your issue.

The only other thing I can suggest is to use a test light to check all fuses. But if you don't have one, then there is nothing more I can do to try to help you.