Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have no power to my fuel pump on my 2008 nissan titan, i

Customer Question

i have no power to my fuel pump on my 2008 nissan titan, i switched relays around and still have no power
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

hey there, any other weird symptoms? like condensor fan coming on with key to ON or anything of that nature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fan does come on and it set there and idled and wouldnt take gas shut it off wouldnt start back
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Does the service engine light flash also?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

when you try to restart? does the service engine light flash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but fuel pump is new and and still nothing sprayed starting fluid and it tried to start
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

If you turn the key to ON, does the red car/key light come on solid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pump want kick in
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Please answer my last question. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it does not sir
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, I'll explain my concerns here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
explain the diagnosis ?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump circuit is fairly simple on these trucks. A 15a fuse in the IPDM provides power to the relay in the IPDM that is switch on by the ECM. Power runs directly through that relay out the IPDM and to the pump. So you can easily check with a voltmeter to see if you have power leaving the IPDM.

The condenser fan coming ON indicates "fail safe" mode. This happens when a control unit is not responding. This could be from a control unit failure or power to a control unit.

So at this point your best bet would be to verify all the fuses and links are good under the hood and at the battery. If all are good then you need to use your scan tool to see which control unit is not responding.

More common then not on these trucks it's the IPDM itself that fails. "Sometimes" when the IPDM fails it can dump excessive amounts of fuel into the exahaust so once it's replaced and started it throws a catalyst code shortly after.

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
were do i check to see if power is coming out of ipdm
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Terminal 13, black and yellow wire.

You have to back probe with the connector plugged in and then run to ON and look for voltage to show up temporarily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one that runs to fuel pump sir
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

That wire DOES run to the fuel pump yes.

Your testing it leaving the IPDM to make sure there is not a short from the IPDM to the pump though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just wondering because i tested the wires at the fuel pump and its getting power
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Well if you getting power at the fuel pump, then it would be running unless it was bad or you had a bad ground.

If that was the case you would be getting fuel UNLESS you didn't have injector pulse. The only thing that cuts injector pulse is the security system and control module failure. You would still be able to get it to start temporarily off starting fluid though if it was a fuel issue.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Your symptoms tell me that you likely have an ECM or IPDM failure at this point.

You could try and switch the ECM and fog lamp relays just to try and see if it helps, but at this point it's not looking promising.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just tried either and it started for a sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unhooked plug in were the black and yellow wire was at in the ipdm box its showing me its not sending no power out the ipdm there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the prong coming out back to fuel pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
guys were are you this is costing me money
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

You CANNOT unhook the plug to test for power coming out. Power runs though it FROM the IPDM. When you seperate it from the IPDM of course there is no power. Thats why I said to back probe it and have someone turn the key to ON.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!