Roger, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician
88470418

Our pathfinder starts and then after running and warm wont

Customer Question

hi our pathfinder starts and then after running and warm wont start. it will crank over but seems to not get fuel. we have replaced the distributor with no luck.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Does it shut down once it warms up or will it just not restart after its manually cut off? What year/engine is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will run ok until you turn it off. once warm if you turn it off it will not start. once cool it will restart. 2000 v6.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Have you had it checked for any trouble codes yet?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

there's no common issues like that with those engines that I've run in to. most crank, no start conditions when hot stem from a faulty sensor, but that should cause an issue as soon as it gets warm not just when it is cut off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree with you and why sensors are not the answer here. I'm looking for components that would cause the issue. Your reply is not an answer.
Thanks for the effort. I'll change the fuel pump most obvious component.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

I also asked if there has been any trouble codes pulled as well. The fuel pump is not necessarily the the problem, it would have a similar symptom as a failing sensor. Have you checked fuel pressure? Trying to help prevent you from just throwing parts at it because it gets expensive.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have a way to check fuel pressure, buy a small can of carburetor cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. When it doesn't start introduce a small amount of extra fuel through the intake snorkel.