Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

Where exactly is the TCM on a 2004 Nissan Quest SE? I see

Customer Question

Where exactly is the TCM on a 2004 Nissan Quest SE? I see the BCM under the triangle glove compartment but can't find the transmission control module. NISSAN dealers can't seem to know and I doubt it is inside the transmission. Please help.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, The TCM on your 2004 is on the right side of the dash just above the security module . See the link below for location. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/TCM%20Oct%2014.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This' the passenger side? And do I have to remove the dashboard?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to access it with the dash in place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Besides the TCM and Camshaft Position Sensors, what is another common cause for the transmission to stall?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean when you say it stalls? Are you getting any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no codes. When I start and drive the car runs for a few seconds then it revs up as if the transmission goes into neutral. I usually have to wait a few minutes before firing it up and move again. The car runs for 5-10 secs approximately.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If its not setting any fault code then in most cases the problem is internal. In most cases if its electronic the TCM will set a fault code and or codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have one more question, does a TCM from a 2003-04 Maxima SE fit a 2004 Quest?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No it will not work and the programming will be complete different, you are going to need A Quest module with the proper programming for it to work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Codes are U1000 and P1726, what does that means?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The code U1000 is a Controller Area Network Line Malfunction - Automatic Transmission concern.

Nissan has a service bulletin for this code that deals with a bad ground to the Computer, see it in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Service%20bulletin%20Oct%2016.pdf

The code P1726 is a Electronic Throttle Control System concern and Nissian say before addressing this code the U1000 codes needs to be addressed.